Legendary game designer, Shigeru Miyamo, recently had some words to say about Nintendo’s upcoming Wii U console. After receiving his Prince of Asturias Award for Communication and Humanities, Miyamoto sat down to discuss a variety of issues including a statement on our beloved Legend of Zelda franchise.
We will highlight his points through bullets here.
- Almost all Wii U gamers will already own a Wiimote, Motion Plus, and nunchuk. This fact gives developers a lot of controller freedom.
- Alternating IR pointing will be possible with both screens.
- Miyamoto believes, though the rest of the gaming community will disagree with this, that Nintendo has not fallen behind in the online field. He feels that now is the right time to take games online.
- Miyamoto stated that gamers “have” to be online with their Nintendo Wii U which hopefully means Nintendo is getting serious about online connectivity.
- As for Zelda news, he stated that Retro qualifies to create a Zelda title, but their location in North America causes some development problems.
- Nintendo is pushing hand written Miverse messages for the Wii U.
- He feels that the iPad mini is another sign that Nintendo chose the right path with the GamePad.